Ratings:

We hope you enjoy our blog, feel free to provide comments, suggestions and please pass onto others.

Our Rating Scale Is:

Excellent, Very Good, Good, OK, Ordinary or Don’t Bother.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Delaforce Alvarinho

 Wine Name:  Delaforce Alvarinho
Wine:  Delaforce
Type: Alvarinho
Country: Portugal
Region:
Rating: Very Good
Price: $16
Recommendation: Recommended

For a long time I have had a nagging thought in the back of my mind that combining a very popular food in Texas (and some surrounding states) with one of my favorite South East Asian dishes would create an interesting result. To date I have not done anything about it but now, with the driving force of my blog, I decided it was time to give it a try and forgive my exuberance but I truly believe it was a great result!  Add to that a great wine discovery and I am really pleased with the outcome this week.

Let me start with the food, then move onto the wine because the wine was chosen with the food in mind. The food that I am talking about is the American freshwater crawfish, also called the Yabbie in Australia. The crawfish is a very popular dish, particularly in southern states such as Texas and Louisiana, but I find the taste a little bland. One of my favorite dishes from my home is Chili Mud Crab which emanates from Singapore and can be used with any kind of crab including blue crab or blue swimmer crab. The Chili crab recipe is a very spicy dish that includes lots of fresh Chilies which I have always thought would add something special to the crawfish. For many people in America the word Chili invokes an image of a dish made famous throughout Texas and synonymous with Rodeo time of year.  Many other countries would classify this as Chili Con Carne, the point I would like to illustrate here is that Chili crab is nothing like the delicious Chili enjoyed in Texas and other southern states.  For this week’s recipe we combined the Singapore crab recipe with freshwater Crawfish to create Chili Crawfish, I am really pleased with the results and so was my family.


For the wine, I consulted my contact at Specs in Houston and he put me onto a Portuguese white that went really well with the crawfish. The wine is called Alvarinho and is made by Delaforce from the Douro Valley in northern Portugal.  I have been to Portugal but unfortunately I have only been to Lisbon and some surrounding coastal areas.  From my limited exposure to Portugal, I was really impressed and would love to see more. I tasted several great foods, one of which I would like to add to the blog at a future date. I also sampled many great wines unfortunately; I have no idea what they were, so as far as Portuguese wines are concerned I am largely starting from scratch.

The Douro Valley looks like a spectacularly beautiful place, and like some previous blogs is more famous for other wines than the one we are bringing you but this white table wine demonstrates significant diversity for the region. The region is popularized by Ports; however the Delaforce Alvarinho is a great addition to their excellent history of largely fortified wine production. I have included several links at the end of the blog specifically about the region due to the natural beauty of the area.

The Alvarinho wine itself, is a medium to full bodied, yet subtle, white with significant overtures of fruit, the most dominant being lemon but with hints of passion fruit. It was recommended due to the existence of some acidity, which was perfect with the spices in the Chili crawfish. To compare this to the better known wine types, it is fuller bodied than a Sauvignon Blanc but not as bold as a big Chardonnay. It is an impressive wine and it went very well with the Chili Crawfish. 

         
Chili Crawfish Recipe
·         1 tablespoon cornstarch
·         7 tablespoons peanut oil
·         2 to 3 shallots, minced
·         Ginger – Grated, about 2 tablespoons
·         6 medium garlic cloves, minced
·         4 Thai chilies, minced
·         2 pounds of Freshwater crawfish (could substitute just about any shellfish)
·         2 cups chicken broth (Low/No Sodium)
·         1/4 cup tomato paste
·         1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (hot)
·         1 large egg, beaten
·         1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (Spring Onions) (Scallion)
·         1 cup Cilantro leaves (Chinese parsley) (Coriander leaves)
·         Steamed Jasmine Rice

·         If crawfish are live purge before cooking.
·         I initially cooked the crawfish for around one minute in boiling water before adding to the following.
·         Combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl and set aside.
·         Heat oil over medium heat in a large wok or fry pan, stir in shallots, ginger, garlic, and chilies. Cook until fragrant, stirring frequently. Approximately one minute.
·         Add crawfish and broth. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Cover loosely and gently boil, if necessary decreasing heat until crawfish has turned red and is nearly cooked through, approximately 6 minutes.
·         Remove cover and stir in tomato paste and chili sauce. Simmer for around one minute and season to taste with salt, sugar if desired, or chili sauce. Stir in cornstarch and bring to boil to thicken
·         Remove from heat and stir in egg. Stir in green onions.
Add to serving dishes and sprinkle with Cilantro and serve. 

Rating: Very Good
The wine is available from Specs in Houston.

Winery Web Site: http://www.delaforce.com/

http://www.winemag.com/Web-2012/Wine-Travel-Destination-2013-Douro-Valley-Portugal/

No comments:

Post a Comment